This is a device that mixes sand, gravel, cement, and water to form concrete homogenously. They are of small size and portable, easy to use even in remote areas. It is an essential piece of equipment for a building contractor.
It is preferred due to its strength, versatility, and also its durability. In the old days, the concrete mixer was manually prepared thus leading to wastage of time and lack of precision. They are capable of preparing concrete mixers of different strengths quickly. Some of the mixers are capable of dispensing the mixture directly to the construction location.
Function and advantages of this type of mixer
- It is used in construction sites to mix different aggregates and water.
- It saves time. It mixes contents properly while allowing the workers to focus on other activities in the meanwhile.
- You do not need to hire extra employees to mix the cement and concrete manuallyhence, saving money.
- It saves you physical strain due to manual mixing of the concrete. This results from the great amount of pressure applied on the shoulders
- It is convenient and easy since it requires no specialization.
Types of concrete mixers
Concrete mixers are of 2 types;
- Continuous mixers
- Batch mixers
- Tilting drum mixers
- Reversing drum mixer
- Non-tilting drum mixer
It functions by discharging and mixing the concrete continuously until a work break occurs or the work is complete. most used for large projects such as theconstruction of dams, bridges, or high buildings.
They are used for concrete mixing where the concrete mix obtained is collected time by time and batch by batch.
They are of 2 types, that is, drum-types and pan-type mixers.
Drum type mixers
Ingredients are mixed in a drum without conical in shape. They are classified into 3 types:
- Tilting drum mixers
- Reversing drum mixers
- Nontilting drum mixers
The Tilting drum mixer
This concrete mixer drum tilts downwards to discharge the concrete and is used for big projects. The mixing efficiency depends on:
- The shape of the drum
- Angle of blades
- The angle of the drum
- Size of the blade
Its disadvantage is that concrete sticks to the bottom of the drum
Nontilting drum mixers
The drum rotates about horizontally. The chute is arranged in an inclined position to discharge the concrete.
Reversing drum mixers
They are similar to the non-tilting type but the reversal of rotation, in this case, is different.
Pan type concrete mixers
It has a round pan where concrete is mixed. The blades are arranged in star shapes inside the pan to enhance mixing.
There are only 2 types of pan type mixers
- Only the star blade rotates about the vertical axis of the pan and the circular pan is constant
- The blades remain at the stationary position when the pan rotates.
To make work, easier people go for machines such as concrete mixers during construction since they are easy to use and work excellently. It is worth purchasing this machine due to its advantages. Check more about culvert balloon.