In case you have submitted higher tax than the actual tax amount, then you can be eligible for a refund. But not many know how to check the status of refund.
In this article, we will explain how you can check the status of IT refund.
An income tax refund is an amount that the income tax department must repay to a taxpayer if he/she has paid more tax than the actual tax amount due. However, to receive an income tax refund, a taxpayer must make a claim. Furthermore, the taxpayer needs to know the current tax slab. For instance, income tax slab 2020-21. He/she also needs to know the total exemptions and deductions that are applicable.
How to Claim a Tax Refund?
In order to claim a tax refund, you need to provide written proof that mentions your income and deduction details to the Department. Furthermore, you should keep in mind that online filing of the return is necessary to file a claim for your tax refund.
How To Check the Refund Status?
To check the refund status, you must know the PAN and assessment year. There are two methods to check the status online-
- The Income Tax E-filing Portal
- The TIN NSDL Portal
The Income Tax E-filing Portal
- The first step you need to take is to visit the website of the Income Tax E-filing portal
- Enter the PAN, acknowledgement number, and captcha code.
- After that, click on ‘Submit’ to check the refund status.
Furthermore, you can log in to the official website of the Income Tax Department to check the status.
The TIN NSDL Portal
- Visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refund-status-pan.html
- After that, enter the PAN, assessment year, and captcha code.
- Next, click on ‘Proceed’ to check the status of the income tax refund.
Types of Income Tax Refund Status
Here are some of the types of Income Tax Refund Status-
- Income Tax Refund Status- Not Determined
When the status is Not Determined, it means the Income Tax Department hasn’t processed the tax return because the refundable amount isn’t determined.
- Income Tax Refund Status- No E-filing for this Assessment Year
This status means that you haven’t filed your return. It can also mean that you filed the return manually.
- Income Tax Refund Status- Refund Paid
If this is the refund status, then it means that the refund is transferred back to the account.
- Income Tax Refund Status- ITR Proceeds Determined, and Sent to Refund Banker
This status means your refund is processed.
- Income Tax Refund Status- Refund Unpaid
If this is the refund status, then it means the Income Tax Department hasn’t delivered your refund.
- Income Tax Refund Status- No Demand No Refund
This status means the amount of tax that is deducted is corrected, and the IT Department doesn’t need to make any refund.
- Income Tax Refund Status- Demand Determined
In case this is your income tax refund status, then it means the Income Tax Department has rejected your claim as their calculation determines you need to pay more tax.
- Income Tax Refund Status- Contact Jurisdictional Assessing Officer
This status means that the Income Tax Department needs a few details about your Income Tax Return.