Tooth loss is a prevalent dental problem suffered by millions across the globe. This can be distressing due to altered oral function and compromised aesthetics. However, the use of modern technology in the field of dentistry has paved the way for dental implants. These are excellent alternatives to other restorations like dentures, and bridges since they offer an array of benefits.
The dental implant dentist Thornton brings to you high-quality restorations with excellent durability, in addition to providing permanent teeth replacements.
What are dental implants? When are they recommended?
Dental implants are dental screw-like prostheses that are surgically inserted into your jawbone that replace the lost tooth roots. They are made up of biocompatible material (preferably titanium alloys) that fuse with the jawbone (osseointegration) and lay a strong base for permanent restorations like crowns, and implant-supported dentures and bridges.
Parts of a dental implant
- Implant post: The screw-like part inserted into the bone that mimics the tooth root.
- Implant abutment: The small connecting part between the post and the prosthesis.
- Implant prosthesis: The artificial restoration (crown, bridge, or denture) anchored to the implant post.
Reasons for dental implants
Dental implants are often recommended if you:
- Want permanent tooth replacement
- Do not have any adjacent natural tooth to support a bridge or denture
- Can afford an implant
- Want to prevent skin sagging and premature aging
Why are dental implants so popular?
Dental implants are popular prostheses in restorative and cosmetic dentistry due to the following benefits.
- Implants permanently fill the missing space thereby improving your oral and facial appearance
- Poor-fitting dentures can negatively impact your speech and pronunciation.
- Dental implants are permanently fixed into your bone, allowing you to speak without the fear of prostheses dislodgment.
Better comfort and convenience
- You no longer have the discomfort of cleaning your removable dentures.
- Dental implants also eliminate the need for messy adhesives to keep bridges in place.
- Dental implants function like your natural teeth, allowing you to chew well with confidence and without pain.
Rejuvenated oral health
- Dental implants do not involve crown preparation of the adjacent teeth since they do not require any support from them. This leaves your natural teeth intact, improving long-term oral health.
- Implants also stimulate the jawbone and prevent resorption.
- Dental implants are durable, and with proper care, they can last a lifetime.
Dental implants are devices that are permanently fixed to your jawbone to replace missing teeth. They offer a high success rate and provide long-term benefits that improve your quality of oral health and physical well-being.