PMP or Project Management Professional is a certificate offered by the Pennsylvania-based Project Management Institute (PMI), an internationally recognized body. Candidates with this certificate are considered better Project Managers who have a holistic understanding of various stages in project management, including Inception, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Completion stages.
As per PMI’s data, the jobs related to Project Management are expected to grow by 33% between 2020 and 2027. Twenty-two million new jobs will be created, with the collective demand for Project Managers standing at 88 million [Source: pmi.org]. A PMP certification would raise your stakes and make it easier for you to get a better job. Surveys from Payscale and Glassdoor show that Project Managers with a PMP certification earn 25-40% more than their counterparts without a PMP certificate.
This lucrative career is attracting many students across the globe. Students are now looking for PMP Certification in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi, and many other metro cities in India. The average PMP salary in India is ₹20,00,000. The average salary of a PMP certified manager stands at $108,063, while a non-PMP certified manager earns $74,962 on average [Source: Payscale].
But is it indeed worth taking a PMP certification in Bangalore, or should another city be chosen? Let’s dig deeper into course dynamics to analyze this.
What All Makes a PMP Certification?
To get a PMP certification, there are certain conditions you need to meet, before appearing for the main examination. Some of these include:
- Work Experience
- Adequate number of PDUs
- Training from Authorized Partner
Candidates need to possess a minimum work experience to become eligible to pursue a PMP certification. Regarding this case, the PMP certificates are divided into two categories.
- For Category 1 certificates, candidates need to possess a 4-year full-time bachelor’s degree.
- Along with this, they should also have earned a minimum of 36 months of experience in leading projects in organizations.
- For Category 2 certificates, you should possess a high school diploma or an associate’s degree.
- Also, to come at par with Category 1, a minimum work experience of 60 months is required in this case.
Professional Development Units
After you meet the core eligibility requirements, you need to earn a specific number of Professional Development Units, known as PDUs. The detailed procedure to earn these PDUs is explained below.
- Step 1: Register on the official PMI website and join 1 of the 314 chapters based on your city/region.
- Step 2: Join a PMP certification course from online platforms like Simplilearn, which teaches skills required to clear the PMP exam. Make sure the platform is a certified Authorized Training Partner (ATP) of PMI.
- Step 3: Now, here comes the role of earning PDUs. You need to go through 35 hours of training, and that will be equivalent to 35 PDUs. These 35 hours can include anything ranging from learning hours to volunteering as well as mentoring.
Training and Examination
A PMP training course with 35 PDUs makes you eligible to appear for the PMI’s exam finally.
- After you earn your required credits, revisit the PMI website and register for the exam.
- The fee is $405 for members and $555 for non-members. Though you save on fees by being a member, the membership comes for $139, with an annual renewal fee of $129.
- After you clear the exam, you are set to enter the Project Management world as a PMP certified professional.
These three stages play an essential role in your journey to get the PMP certificate; however, it doesn’t stop here. According to the requirements of PMI, you would still be required to earn 60 PDUs every three years regularly. If you fail to do so, your PMP certificate will lapse. So PMP certification is not just 1-time learning; it is a continuous process for your entire life.
How Worthy is a PMP Certificate in Bangalore?
Just like other cities in India, Bangalore also offers many jobs related to PMP professional courses. Being the IT hub of India, the city provides lucrative career options and easy to fetch job opportunities. The table below tabulates some of the key job roles PMP professionals are generally engaged in and their salary in Bangalore.
|Job Role||Average Salary Package|
|Senior Project Manager||₹22,71,000|
|Team Lead/Team Manager||₹12,82,000|
|Agile Project Manager||₹10,48,000|
Source: payscale.com and glassdoor.com
Note: All these salary packages are for an average Project Manager. With a PMP certification, there is a significant increase in the salary package.
Some of the top companies recruiting for PMP certified professionals in Bangalore are:
- Hewlett Packard (HP)
- Baker Hughes
- JP Morgan Chase
- L&T Technology Services
These are only a few names from a long list of companies recruiting PMP-certified project managers in Bangalore at lucrative salary packages.
What Skills are Essential While Appearing for the PMP Exam?
Like any other course, there are some additional skills that you need to possess to make your journey a smooth ride. Some of the key skills required for the PMP course are:
- Decision-Making Ability: As a project manager, you will be leading various teams, and thus you would often be required to resolve various deadlock situations. Having a good decision-making ability is helpful in this situation.
- Communication Skills: Project Managers spend most of the time dealing with upper management as well as clients. Thus, lacking good communication skills can deprive you of many benefits, which otherwise would seem just like a piece of cake.
- Conflict Management: When so many teams work together, they do not always work together in tandem. Therefore, you must step forward as a leader and help the departments coordinate properly and work together.
The PMP craze is increasing every day due to the increasing richness of this career. If you also plan to become a Project Manager, do go for a PMP certification to give wings to your career. Furthermore, pursuing PMP from a famous city like Bangalore will help you fly to glory.