Car accidents are reported regularly in Tucson. While some accidents are minor blips, others have serious consequences. If you are a driver involved in a car crash, you have to follow the basic rules. Arizona is a fault state. When the driver is at fault, you can seek compensation for your injuries. You may also want to contact a Tucson auto accident attorney to know the scope of your case. Here are the dos and don’ts to follow after a car accident.
- Call the police. It doesn’t matter who caused the accident; you need to inform the local enforcement. This is important for all accidents that result in death, injury, and property damage estimated at $1,000 or more.
- Call 911. Don’t hesitate to seek help for the injured if you are physically capable of doing so. Regardless of the nature of your injuries, you need to see an injury doctor too.
- Take info of other drivers. You must exchange contact and information with other drivers involved in the accident.
- Take photos. You need evidence to prove that you have sustained injuries in the car accident if you decide to file a compensation claim. Take as many photos and videos of the accident scene, damaged vehicles, and your injuries as you can.
- Talk to witnesses. Do not forget to take the contact details of the witnesses to the accident. If the police officer hasn’t arrived at the scene, you can insist the witnesses to wait for their statement.
- Contact an attorney. An experienced attorney can make sure that you don’t settle for less. They can also evaluate the worth of your claim and negotiate with the insurance company for you.
- Don’t run away from the scene. It could cause unwanted complications. You could be charged with “hit and run,” too.
- Admit fault. Even if you believe that you had a share in the accident, do not admit fault. It is best to minimize your conversations with other parties involved in the crash.
- Don’t blame anyone. Do not exchange heated arguments or blame the other party. When the police officer investigates, be cooperative, but do not claim anything you aren’t sure of
- Don’t forget to see a doctor. Car accidents often cause injuries that only show up weeks later. Make sure that you meet a doctor to know your prognosis.
Check online for auto accident attorneys in Arizona now!